Shital's-Kitchen: Healthy Idli

Friday, February 22, 2013

Healthy Idli

Idlis, per say are healthy, steamed and without any oil. But, this week felt like going low on carbs. They only way for vegetarians is by substituting more pulses and beans for carbs. So I made these steamed dumplings with the pulses that I found easily in my pantry :) Also, my friends Bhakti and Anusha were going to come over for creative discussions and new projects to work on. This was perfect for the occasion! Great tasting, hearty, healthy, warm snack with variety on dipping sauces.

This was an experiment, but I am so glad I documented and took pictures at every stage for me to make it again. Believe me, Snehanshu too loved it and now that we both exercise on our exercise bike that we bought, this is protein rich and guilt free eating.

So I started with the pulses in my pantry. Brown chick peas (chana), white peas (vatana), Green chick peas (green chana), Mung beans, lentils (urad dal)
1/2 cup of each of these pulses. Soak it over night.
Also soak 1/2 cup rice flour in 1 cup water in a separate bowl.

 Strain excess water from the pulses.
Grind soaked pulses and soaked rice flour with 1-2 green chillies to form a fine paste. 
I use a food processor to grind which make it fine but does not make it smooth and I like that texture. If you are using a blender, you might want to check the consistency every few minutes.


Add 1 tbsp of fenugreek (methi) seeds. Mix well and allow the batter to ferment for 10-12 hours. 
It will also make a nice sour smelling and tasting, fluffy idlis

It will double in size when fermented.

Add salt and mix well. You are ready to make idlis!

Here is a cooker to make idlis steamed in water bath and idli mold which make 16 idlis at once.

Put an inch of water and start heating till it starts steaming.

Grease the mold with oil.

Pour well mixed batter it each of the molds.

I like to add some cashew for crunch and taste.

Also add some shredded carrots and peas if you like.

Steam for 7-10 minutes.

Cool for 2-3 minutes before scooping the idlis from the mold.



Serve with Cilantro chutney, Tomato chutney, Coconut chutney.

Just spread some chuney in the plate.

Serve idlis over it.

This is how Anusha, my artist friend would serve herself :)

Enjoy Healthy, Hearty, Steamed Idlis!!


No comments:

Post a Comment