Shital's-Kitchen: Golden Bhel

Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Golden Bhel

Have you ever had golden bhel before? Do you know what golden bhel is? I am sure some of you might know what it is.

Normally a Bhel is a mixture of puffed rice, veggies, chickpea flour noodles (sev) and chutnies. The combination of flavors and textures in Bhel, makes it a very popular dish. Specially sold by the street food vendors, bhel is a quick lunch or snack for most of the Mumbai commuters.

I am not sure if the concept of Golden Bhel is popular amongst all Bhelwalas in Mumbai. But, the bhelwala (vendor) where we used the eat and enjoy our Bhel, had this unique option we could opt for. Golden Bhel: Bhel without puffed rice :) Golden Bhel included only golden brown and crisp puris, that are broken and mixed with veggies and chutnies. Interesting, isn't it??

My Golden Bhel is made with delicious, golden brown Baked Puris. This indeed is a healthier version of bhel, and can surely be awarded a Golden Medal in the category of Bhel. Thus, my Golden Bhel!!

After a tiring day at work and workout at the gym, I come home exhausted and super hungry. I tend to open the fridge and eat whatever is easily available. Don't most of us feel that way? For those irresistible eating moments, I keep these baked puris handy. I also store my mom's Spicy Bhel Chutney so that making this delicious meal is quick, guilt-free and rewarding :) Check out my recipes for Baked Puri and Bhel Chutney.

Here is my quick Golden Bhel recipe:
Finely chopped onions, tomatoes, and cucumber. You could also add in boiled potatoes if you like.

Add in bhel chutney, salt to taste and lemon juice.
You could also add in some date and tamarind chutney.




Add finely chopped cilantro, and mix well.



Break in few puris (fried or baked)





Toss the ingredients well.

Sprinkle cilantro and sev noodles if you want. 

Enjoy this Delicious, Nutritious Golden Bhel!


No comments:

Post a Comment