Shital's-Kitchen: Ajwain Pakora Chaat

Sunday, July 16, 2017

Ajwain Pakora Chaat

There are few plants and shrubs that do not need much care. They are easy to grow and with proper water and sunlight they would grow like a weed. I am sure everyone knows how easy it is grow and propagate mint plant/herb. The same is true for Ajwain plant (A tropical.Indian herb similar to thyme). They grow fast like weeds and can propagate easily. From a small little stem that I had ordered online from an Indian plant website last year, I now have a big plant growing in my backyard. I cut and propagate the stem cuttings at various spots in my yard and also in pots to gift my friends. Ajwain plant leaves have a strong fragrance and keeps pests and bugs away. Low to partial sunlight is just perfect for them so the spot where no other summer plants would grow is perfect for my ajwain plant. They adapt themselves well in the conditions they are put in.

Growing up, I have seen ajwain plant at home. With so many medicinal properties that it carries, this is a plant that is seen in most Indian houses. Ajwain plant mainly aids in digestion and releaves from cold and cough...herbal remedies. My parents always said that ajwain pakoras are delicious too, but I don't remember tasting it ever. And now that I have the this beautiful huge plant growing, I had to make Ajwain leaf Bhajias.

Few months back my friend, SM invited us over for chai party (Indian tea party), and she made yummychaat with palak/spinach leaves. Oh I can't say enough how yummy it was. Some gossip and some chaat...perfect recipe for Indian girl friends meet right?? :) HAHA!!! So while I loved the palak pakora chaat that she made...I tried it with Ajwain Leaf Pakoras when I had few of my friends over for Summer Gola Party. Chilling in the backyard with chilled gola and chatpaty chaat is just delicious. And to add to that my friend made some yummy Plum Panna (fresh plum drink) from her backyard produce.

Ajwain pakora chaat is a delicious dish that is easy to prep and serve. It is fun to lay out the chaat ingredients in your fancy platters and let yours guests make their chaat while you can sit and chit-chat with them. It is a perfect party or a girls meet food!

Ingredients (serves 4)
To make pakoras:
15-20 broad Ajwain leaves
1 cup besan/chickpea flour
1 cup rice flour
1+1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tsp. red chili powder
Water to make the dough,
Oil for frying

To assemble the chaat
Spicy cilantro chutney
Date and tamarind chutney
1 Cup plain yogurt (beaten with a pinch of salt)
1  cup chopped onions
1 cup chopped tomatoes
1 cup chickpeas (soaked and boiled)
Chopped cilantro
Sev for garnishing

To make pakoras:
  • Wash, clean and dry freshly harvested ajwain leaves
  • Mix flour, salt, and spices together. Add around 3/4 to 1 cup water to make a smooth batter.
  • Heat oil in a deep pan.
  • Dip each ajwain leaf in the batter and deep fry in hot oil. Flip it till it is lightly golden on both sides.
  • Remove on a paper towel to absorb excess oil
  • Lay all in a serving plate. 

To assemble chaat:
  • Place 2-3 ajwain pakoras in the serving plate.
  • Top with some boiled chickpeas, onions, tomatoes.
  • Add some beaten yogurt and chutneys to suit your palate (or let your guests self serve themselves)
  • Garnish with crisp sev and chopped cilantro.

Here is my Ajwain plant.
Beautiful broad leaves to make a perfect base for chaat.


Look at the Thela or Indian Cart full of Ajwain Leaves! :)

Wash, clean and dry freshly harvested ajwain leaves
Mix flour, salt, and spices together. Add around 3/4 to 1 cup water to make a smooth batter.


Heat oil in a deep pan.
Dip each ajwain leaf in the batter and deep fry in hot oil. Flip it till it is lightly golden on both sides.



Remove on a paper towel to absorb excess oil
Lay all in a serving plate.




Place 2-3 ajwain pakoras in the serving plate.
Top with some boiled chickpeas, onions, tomatoes.

Add some beaten yogurt and chutneys to suit your palate (or let your guests self serve themselves)
Garnish with crisp sev and chopped cilantro.







Enjoy this delicious Chaat!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment